Dear District Three Residents:
Having served as your elected Minneapolis School Board representative for the past three years, I have decided to seek your support and endorsement for another four-year term. In order to earn that support, I have worked very hard on your behalf and wish to take this opportunity to outline some of our successes during my term:
We hired a new Superindendent, bringing increased equity among students & improved adult instructional programming to the Minneapolis Schools.
We increased graduation rates overall and achieved the highest ever for Somali-American students and adopted a Pre-K-5 literacy curriculum including an English Language development and Spanish language instruction for English Learners.
We implemented an English Learner Caucus committee to focus on specific issues.
- We Increased teacher diversity through intensive recruitment efforts and by retaining many of our culturally-diverse staff; we also implemented a Grow-Your-Own-Special EducationTeacher program.
- We introduced Board resolutions affirming Minneapolis Public Schools as a welcoming and safe district for Immigrants and Muslims, ensuring district values of cultural diversity and linguistic assets for our communities.
- We supported construction of the Phillips Community Aquatic Center to help prevent drowning by our residents and students. We also constructed a new building for Transition Plus and Adult Basic Education programming and completed renovations to Sanford and Anderson school buildings, upgrading air conditioning at several more schools.
- I strongly support developing a balanced Minneapolis Public School budget through comprehensive structural changes in transportation, facilities, and structural programing by school year 2019-2020.
- I will work hard for an improved, culturally-responsive instructional programming that increases the number of schools with Somali instruction classes.
- Finally, I will build on the Grow-Your-Own Special Education-Teacher program to help increase the diversity of staffing to more accurately reflect the realities of our student demographics.
With your help and support, the next four years at the Minneapolis Public Schools will continue to demonstrate that with a dedicated school board, administration, and marvelous work accomplished by our teachers in the classrooms, we will progress in our educational offerings allowing even more students to feel welcomed and respected. I wish to stand by their side and do all I can to continue making our schools better than ever!